On August 4th, 2007 in the city of Sucre, judicial capital of Bolivia, the Attorney General of Bolivia presented a request before the Supreme Court of Justice for the extradition of ex-president Gonzalo Sánchez de Lozada, ex-minister Carlos Sánchez Berzaín, and ex-head of Hydrocarbons Jorge Berindoague. Federal prosecutors Milton Mendoza and Mirna Arancibia presented the request before the Court for the case of October 2003. The charges include genocide and crimes against humanity, among others. The Court must approve the request in the next few days, and it will then be submitted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, where it will be translated and prepared. The next step will be the presentation of the extradition notice in Washington.
This is great news! Now that the official request for extradition has been made here in Bolivia, the U.S. Department of Justice will be forced to respond, which is where we can take action. The order should be presented to the U.S. Department of Justice within 60 days.
WRITE A LETTER TO THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE NOW:
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001
Your letter could include any of the following:
· Background on the massacres of October 2003.
· The historical issue of impunity for corrupt and violent leaders in Latin America and around the world.
· The obligation of the U.S . to respect the sovereignty of Bolivia, its judicial system, and its people.
· Your outrage the your government is protecting a suspect charged with crimes against humanity.
· The fact that Bolivia’s justice system is skewed in favor of the rich and powerful, not the poor victims in this case. Goni will receive a fair trial.
There is also more information, especially background on the massacres of 2003, in Spanish and English at www.juiciogoniya.org.bo
Please, now is the time that we need your help! Pressure the U.S. Government to stop protecting rich, corrupt, and violent fugitives within its own boundaries, while it speaks of spreading democracy, justice, and freedom abroad.
Feel free to contact Julia McDowell for more information, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Comite Impulsor and Julia McDowell