Source: China View
The death toll from protests against the interim Honduran government installed after a military coup increased to two on Monday after a protestor died in hospital.
The man, a union member, died of injuries sustained in protests against Roberto Micheletti, who was appointed president hours after President Manuel Zelaya was seized at his residence by hooded and heavily armed troops and whisked to Costa Rica.
The man had been protesting the change of bosses in state-run Honduras Telecommunications Corp made by Micheletti.
Sixty people were injured and one died in clashes between Honduran troops and Zelaya’s supporters outside the Palace of Government, local television channel Canal 51 reported earlier.
A few minutes earlier, Juan Barahona, who leads the United Workers Federation, told Xinhua by telephone that soldiers had opened fire on demonstrators outside the Palace of Government.
"When we were dispersed, I saw several people with bullet wounds," Barahona said. "Two ambulances arrived but so far I don’t know if there are deaths."
Local media had reported shooting and tear gas used at the scene, as two helicopters flew over the area.